As cleaning experts, people often ask us how to clean a carpet so that it stays fresh and dirt-free longer. Here’s our expert take on it.
Carpets warm any space by adding color, pattern, and texture. However, keeping your carpets looking fresh requires specific and frequent cleaning. By applying methods of vacuuming, deep cleaning, and stain removal, your carpet will look better and last longer. Here are some basic steps and tips that can ensure you’re cleaning your carpet correctly.
To protect your carpet, vacuum entrance areas and high-traffic areas twice a week and the rest of the carpeting at least weekly. Frequent vacuuming will reduce soil buildup and prevent dirt from being ground into the carpet backing or from wearing away carpet fibers. Additionally, to ensure a thorough vacuum clean, make sure to:
- Prep the room/area you are planning to vacuum by moving furniture, cords, and other items that may be in the way.
- Use various attachments to clean carpet edges and around any furniture that cannot be moved. A vacuum cleaner with a rotating bristle is best for lifting embedded dirt.
- Vacuum in two directions, perpendicular to each other for best results.
- Deep Cleaning With the Right Solutions
There are a variety of carpet cleaning products available. Always read the label and manufacturer guidelines on how to clean carpets using the specific machine you select to ensure that you have chosen the correct product.
A household favourite that has been frequently used to freshen and brighten carpets is baking soda. Apply a liberal sprinkling of baking soda on the affected area(s) and let sit for an hour or more to absorb oily stains and odors and then vacuum it away.
When using other cleaning solutions, it’s always best to test the product on an area of carpet that is hidden away from plain view rather than on the stain itself to test the carpet’s colorfastness. If you notice any dye changing or if the cleaner stains the carpet, opt for another type.
Clean with steam
If you have a clothes steamer or steam mop that is usually on hard-surface floors, they can be used to deep clean carpet, as well. After applying your cleaning solutions, hold the steamer head about six to twelve inches from the carpet. Allow the steam to completely dampen the carpet. Use a scrub brush to work the damp mixture into the fibers.
Use old towels or microfiber cloths to absorb the loosened oil. Allow the carpet to dry completely and vacuum to remove any residue remaining in the carpet.
Pre-Treat Stains and High Traffic Areas
The best time to treat a carpet stain is as quickly as possible. To start, test for colorfastness by spraying spot cleaner in an obscure corner. Spray the cleaner on the stain and blot with a clean, white towel. For stubborn areas, gently rub with a scrub brush and then blot with a clean white towel.
For more solid mud stains or dropped food, use the edge of a credit card or a dull knife to lift away the solids. NEVER rub a stain with solids because it will push it deeper into the fibers.
A quick tip: When spot testing, use a clean white cloth so colors do not run onto the treated area.
Tip to Keep Your Carpet Cleaner Longer
- Regular vacuuming is important to remove soil and protect against wear from ground-in dirt.
- Stains require special treatment. Look for spot removers that treat food stains or deodorizers that remove odors caused by smoke, mildew, food, or animal waste.
- Carpet cleaners and spot removers come in various forms like foams, ready-to-use sprays, or concentrates. To find the right floor cleaning solution for you, experiment with products until you find the one that works best for you.
- Keep your vacuum well-maintained and ⦁ clean so it will function properly.
You’ve stayed on top of vacuuming, but the time has come to step it up and seek out the best carpet cleaner for regaining that like-new look. Let Grandmother’s Touch help keep your property safe, hygienic, and welcoming. Whether you need a one-time emergency service or weekly routine commercial office cleaning in Toronto, our team is committed to providing our clients friendly, detail-oriented service.
Contact us for a quote today.