Employees spend an average of eight hours a day at the office. It’s no surprise that a work environment is almost like a second home. Let’s take this year’s office spring clean to the next level with our ultimate checklist.
You spring clean your home, so why not spring clean your office? If everyone shares the responsibility, together with the right supplies and some elbow grease, you’ll have a fresh, clean, and de-cluttered office in no time!
We recommend that everyone starts with their desk. Once cleaning and de-cluttering individual workspaces are complete, split off into smaller teams and tackle other common areas like lunchrooms, storage areas and conference rooms.
Here are the main things you’ll want to focus when tackling your ultimate office spring cleaning checklist:
1. De-clutter and clean desks
- Remove everything from your desk and dispose or store unused items
- Wipe surfaces down with a clean, microfiber rag
- Wipe computer or laptop screen, keyboard, and mouse with electronic cleaning wipes
- Clean your keyboard with canned air to remove dirt and crumbs stuck beneath the keys
- Disinfect mobile or desk phone
- Recycle any unused cables or chargers
2. Lobby, hallways, storage, and meeting rooms
- Use a ladder or stepping stool to dust tops of cabinets and storage shelves
- Dust ceiling fans and light fixtures with an extendable duster
- Clean windowsills and window tracks
- Vacuum curtains and blinds
- Disinfect light switches, cabinet handles and doorknobs
- Wipe down conference tables and chairs
- Replace burnt out light bulbs
- Dust cobwebs and vacuum baseboards
3. Double check safety equipment
- Check the expiry date on all fire extinguishers
- Test batteries in all your smoke detectors
4. Clean the break room
- Clean out refrigerator and cabinets, throwing away any expired food
- Once the fridge is empty, wipe down shelves, defrost the freezer and vacuum the rear coils
- Wipe down small appliances like coffee machines and toasters
- Run a cleaning cycle on the dishwasher and empty drain trap
- Clear out clutter and old utensils from kitchen drawers
- Empty the crumb tray from the toaster and toaster oven
5. Call in the pros when needed
- Steam clean carpets
- Deep clean floors and bathrooms
- Exterminators if insects or rodent droppings were found
Do your best, but you may want to call in the pros for some jobs that require specialized cleaning equipment or require access to out-of-reach areas of the building. A clean, well-organized office is a healthy and productive one. If you’re looking for commercial cleaning in Toronto, Grandmother’s Touch can fulfill a wide variety of needs, regardless of the type or size of the project. Contact us today to find out how we can help fulfill your needs through our comprehensive cleaning services.
Have a happy office spring clean!